With the scandal of horse meat, we can see that product specification management becomes critical for food manufacturers if you want to prevent food and health crises.
It is therefore important to manage for each product:
- Raw materials used and their specification on which suppliers are committed
- Geographical and biological origins
- Nutrition facts
- Control plans
And of course, ensuring that your product specifications are updated after changes and modifications of raw materials.
This will become more important with the Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011 which will enhance the labeling of products.
A PLM software can help you to manage these issues effectively and save your time in your daily work via:
- Product portfolio management
- Formula and recipe management
- Product specification generation